Top 10 tips to win at online roulette
For the best odds, play European or French roulette
The single zero improves your odds of choosing a winning number and reduces the house edge.
Go for outside over inside bets
There is a much greater chance of winning as these bets cover considerably more numbers, although the payout is smaller.
Experiment with combination bets for bigger payouts
If you have the bankroll for it, it can be true that with greater risk comes greater reward.
Play free roulette first to understand the game
Playing roulette for free is especially useful if you want to try out new bet types or strategies and get familiar with the odds.
Study the table and get to grips with the rules
Don’t get tripped up by mistakes that could be easily avoided.
Ignore any ‘What’s Due’ number prompts
Roulette is a completely random game, both online and in real casinos. The numbers don’t appear in a sequence.
Place smaller bets so you can play for longer
Good bankroll management is key for any successful player.
Take regular breaks to stay focused
Playing back-to-back games for too long can lead to poor decision making.
Only play at reputable and trustworthy online casinos
Stay safe and don’t risk your money and data on dangerous sites.
Set a betting limit and never wager what you can’t afford
Betting should be fun, don’t let it become anything other than that.
How to play Roulette | 9 Roulette Tips and Tricks to take your game to the next level
Online roulette tips for beginners
If you’re new to online roulette, there are a few things to consider before placing your first bet. Check out our best online roulette tips for beginners:
Understand the differences in roulette variants
There are three main variants of the game: American roulette, European roulette, and French roulette. You’ll find that each variant has a slightly different table layout as well as different house edges to be aware of. Typically, the variant with the simplest rules and that gives players the best odds of beating the house is European roulette, which has a house edge of just 2.63%, so we’d advise starting out with that.
Start with outside bets
Outside bets offer the best odds of winning at roulette. These types of wagers are placed on groups as opposed to just numbers. Examples are bets on odd or even, red or black, 1-18 or 19-46, dozen bets, or column bets. Though the payouts are lower, the odds of winning are much higher. So, if you’re not wanting to take too much of a risk, we recommend you stick with outside bets.
If you’re feeling confident, try combination bets
A combination bet involves putting a stake on either two, three, four, five, or six individual numbers. Combination bets are placed on the lines in-between numbers on a roulette table, for example on a corner which touches four different numbers. Though combination bets cost more than single number wagers, in the long-term they can help score larger payouts. You can learn more about different betting options on our roulette bet types page.
Don’t focus on ‘What’s due’
Some online casinos will have a ‘What’s Due’ feature which gives guidance on which numbers might be coming next. Online roulette games use random number generators to determine where in the wheel the ball will fall next. This means the odds of a number or color coming up stay the same for every single spin regardless of what has come up before. There’s no guarantee of success with any online roulette bet!
Know the odds of roulette bets
It’s essential to understand roulette odds before you start playing. Each bet comes with its own potential payout and odds of winning. Typically, outside bets will pay 1:1, while inside bets will pay anything from 6:1 all the way up to 35:1. Knowing the odds before putting money on a bet is key to successful management of your funds and making each bet count.
How to win at roulette
There is no sure way to win when playing roulette, but there are steps you can take to become a better and more knowledgeable player. It all starts with having a really solid understanding of the game. Roulette is a game of chance, but you do have some choices to make within the game, and there are ways to work that to your advantage. Our biggest tip for those wanting to know how to win is to thoroughly explore the different elements of the game. This includes:
- Learn how roulette works – it’s essential to thoroughly understand how roulette works before you put money on the line. Whether you’re playing online roulette or at a real roulette table in a casino, the rules are much the same.
- Roulette bet types and chip placement – learn the difference between the various betting options to make the most of your budget. If you don’t know which choices you have, you’ll have a limited experience of the game, which is no fun!
- Understand roulette odds – a smart player is aware of their chances before placing a bet. Plan your bets carefully with a strong understanding of the risk you’re taking.
- Explore roulette betting systems – learning a roulette betting system is perfect for those wanting to manage their bankroll more effectively.
How to deal with roulette losses and avoid common mistakes
Remember that roulette is based on luck, rather than skill or talent. The key to enjoying the game of roulette is accepting what you cannot change. If you are unsure on the right course of action to take should you hit a losing streak, here are a few tips for handling it:
- If luck isn’t on your side, keep combined bets small and don’t place too many bets with lower odds at once.
- Explore roulette betting systems to try new ways of managing your bankroll.
- If you’re concerned about spending too much, set yourself a limit. Many online casinos will give you the option to put a cap on your account.
- Never set out to bet more than you can afford. This way any losses won’t have too much of a negative impact or lead you into a dangerous situation.
If you do have any concerns around gambling responsibly, visit our responsible gambling page for further advice.